Thursday 18 December 2014

Business, Babies and Brotseuli






I'm back! Okay, well I've been back for about two months now but life has been busy. I want to get into regular posts now since I have so much to say, let's see how well that goes. A lot has happened, I decided to suspend my university education to continue something completely different later and am now focusing on starting my own English Language company while I'm here. It seems there are barely any other foreign people here after Saakashvili left, so I'm not sure how easy it will be. It's all part of the experience though I suppose!

I feel more native here now, dare I say it. Our nearest metro station is a 20 minute bus ride away so I'm experiencing more of a village life (my Instagram is full of our settlements' cows and pigs). The neighbours call me Tamari, rather than Chloe, since it's apparently easier to pronounce and I can just about communicate that I don't like the cold weather and where I'm going.

Unfortunately I missed the wine harvest this year but did get to make some chacha surrounded by fruit and newborn babies. I've been quite disheartened by the news here lately, too much violence and hostility, as seen in this article as a prime example. A lot of the hostility is related to the heavy patriarchal mentality. The men are very macho and brutish in their approach to women, seen in young boys too which suggests it's more of a social issue. I want to expand on the roles of men and women here in another post but I can honestly say I've never seen a country so strict and severe in its expectations of people. Don't even get me started on the attitudes people have towards LGBT communities, let alone women.

It's an interesting topic although not a particularly positive one, so rather than end this on a downer I'll tell you now that I'm heading home for Christmas in a few days (this time with my sweet!) to indulge in some home comforts and dog cuddles before heading to Berlin in the New Year on our way back to Tbilisi. That's when everything business-wise should kick off so fingers crossed!

What are your plans for Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment